I have 8 weeks and 4 days until my due date. Not that I’m counting or anything… Obviously the main motivation for the countdown is that we get to meet our daughter, but there are a few other things that I’m really starting to miss after 7 months of being knocked up.
I know it sounds selfish and there will be a few mother-earth types who will disagree with what I’m about to say, but being pregnant isn’t easy and I’d be lying if I said that it was fun. Don’t get me wrong – there have been some amazing moments: the first scan; the first kick; when the sickness subsided and I could digest food once again, guilt-free carb overloads… But one thing that I have to be honest about when talking to my friends about the experience, is that it is a massive sacrifice. I know that it will be 100% worth it (well at least I’m hoping so) but here are the things that I miss most from before we found out we were expecting:
1. Wine and other alcoholic beverages: I have to be clear here, I don’t miss getting drunk and I definitely do not miss being hungover. I know that even when I’m welcoming booze back in to my life (with open arms) there is no way that I’ll get away with sleeping all day in front of the TV eating biscuits when I’m a Mum. But a couple of drinks would be lovely.
2. Dancing: Turns out I am physically unable to partake in this activity without the above. I just don’t know what to do with my arms!
3. Staying up past 10.30pm: It’s just not possible anymore.
4. Sleeping right through the night: I have to pee a lot.
5. Worry-free sneezing: See above, it’s all connected and I wouldn’t be telling the truth if I didn’t say there have been a few minor ‘accidents’.
6. Skinny jeans: They were abandoned in the first few weeks. Although I may never ever wear anything other than maternity jeans again. Great for pregnancy now, but they’ll come in handy after a big dinner later.
7. Controllable breasts: They now have a mind of their own and refuse to be sensibly contained. And from what I’ve heard, breast feeding just brings a whole new dimension to the problem. #cantwait
8. Soft cheese, rare beef, sushi and all the other things we’re told to avoid: I can’t stop thinking about all the things I’m not allowed. Childish, I know, but I want it ALL.
9. Going to the gym: I’ve been a couple of times, but one thing about a gym that is a guarantee are mirrors. They’re everywhere and there’s nothing like watching yourself on the elliptical carrying a baby elephant on your front to put you off wearing anything other than a sack for the rest of eternity. Also, a squat brings on much of the same concerns as in point 5.
10. Bending over: Sounds simple… putting the dishwasher on, taking the washing out, picking up your handbag – simple tasks have become unquestionably troublesome, not to mention ridiculously entertaining for any onlooker. I always forget until it’s too late. There may come a time when I’ll just have to stay down there.
Baby countdown: 8 weeks, 4 days, 13 hours